Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Reflection on Seasons

Stevie Nicks and then the Dixie Chicks sing this song about life and love and growing older that I absolutely love.  It's called "LANDSLIDE" and it's definitely slow and sappy - of course I always cry when I hear it.  I thought this was an interesting title for this song, but when you think about life in general isn't that the biggest 'landslide' of them all?  Gravity pulls everything down, and your life tempo - that goes from high roll to slow as you get older too!  Sometimes I think of how old I've gotten and I have this weird out of body experience because in my MIND I am still young, I'm that girl that was flashy and fun.  When I see how old the children (my child, my friends kids) have gotten then it really hits home...I am really OLD as HECK!   every now and then I catch myself saying "when I was your age..."  Have I really grown up to be THAT old lady? 

Sometimes I feel as though I’ve lived several lives…maybe this is because I’ve survived so many storms.  I look back on my life and think what happened to HER?  my friends have changed, where I hang out has changed, who I LOVED has changed, where I work has changed, even where I lived....all changed. 

I was thinking of my father today, I always compare where I am to where he was at my age and I'm seeing a lot of similarities in the life I live.  My father worked so hard that when he was dying he would wake up every morning in the hospital bed saying "I wish I had one more year" or "I just need one more year".  He was 81 and had brain cancer.  He had projects that weren't finished and relationships that had never been resolved, people he wanted to see but hadn't called and he just needed ONE MORE YEAR.  What I've realized now is that sometimes one more minute here or with someone you love and care about wouldn't be enough.  Is it time sliding away from you that is the Landslide in the song? 

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?


I think of how quickly summer passed, how quickly winter comes and I think about how much the 'seasons' of my life mean to me, how every minute mattered.  Unlike my father, I find ways to take breaks every now and then but mayber there should be more of them.  Scary thought - maybe we stay busy so we don't have to deal with the change at all...

http://animoto.com/play/3m2ecSSZsnYQoLU0Qe7KEQ

The above link is some pics of me at different times of the year.  Seasons change, people change - it should be fun not scary!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment